Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sartre Cookbook for Reed College Magazine


" In an attempt to reach the bourgeoisie, I taped two fried eggs over my eyes and walked the streets of Paris for an hour. I ran into Camus at the Select. He sneered and told me to “go home and wash my face,” so I poured a bowl of bouillabaisse into his lap. Enraged, he seized a straw wrapped in paper, tore off one end of the wrapper and blew through the straw, propelling the wrapper into my eye. “Ow! You douche!” I cried. (This insult probably would have stung more if we were not both French. Now he thinks I called him a “shower.”)"

Great assignment for Reed College Magazine. For the "Jean Paul Sartre Cookbook", a spoof written by Marty Smith back in the day. Done in a similar watercolor-ish style as the Chinatown piece below. Read the whole thing here. it's pretty hilarious.


"I have realized that the traditional omelet form is bourgeois. Today I tried making one out of a cigarette, some coffee, and four tiny stones. I fed it to Malraux, who puked. I am encouraged, but my journey is still long."


1 comment: