Saturday, June 6, 2009

Shaboy!




I've been slacking on the Dirty Dish comics.. I thought maybe I was done with it, and thought about doing "weekly" stories about something other than working in a restaurant.. but every time I sit down and think about comics I keep going back to Dirty Dish. I'm not really sure If I'm doing something new or interesting with this or If I'm just beating a dead horse.. There's plenty of TV shows, movies and books about working in kitchens - although not too many that do it right in my opinion.

One of the funniest and most interesting things about working in a kitchen to me was the language. Linguists and Sociologists would cream their pants over the use of language in a lot of kitchens, a cross between military/prison/street -inflected diner jargon and classic french kitchen terminology, filtered through the slang of philadelphia, mexico, africa..then all mixed together and topped off with inside-joke restaurant-specific terms, to the point where after working in the same place for 5 years, my friends had absolutely no idea what I was saying, ever. Anyway enough rambling, I should save it for the next comic.

Stay tuned for the conclusion of this story next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment